Surfing, diving and kitesurfing as well as a relaxing sea-side experience on the Tuscan coast, the birthplace of the Macchiaioli, between reefs and white beaches. Jewel of the Maremma coastline…
Surfing, diving and kitesurfing as well as a relaxing sea-side experience on the Tuscan coast, the birthplace of the Macchiaioli, between reefs and white beaches.
Jewel of the Maremma coastline and outpost standing guard at the entrance to the splendid Etruscan Coast, the village of Castiglioncello looks out over the sea between spectacular reefs, surrounded by vast hills of Mediterranean scrub; it is no coincidence that this beautiful place inspired the liveliest artistic movement of the 19th century: the Macchiaioli.
Thanks to its exclusive beauty, in the 1960s this area was also popular with famous celebrities such as Alberto Sordi and Marcello Mastroianni, and was also used as a film set for Vittorio Gassman’s film “Il Sorpasso”.
Even if you only find yourself near Livorno on your way to southern Maremma, you simply must turn your car along the coastal road that departs from Antignano: this is the old Via Aurelia, whose beautiful views over the coast will accompany you as you discover Castiglioncello, its enchanting surroundings and the many many ways to experience sea life.
At the very beginning of the coastal road you can see Calafuria Tower on your right; this spectacular outpost on the very edge of the sea defends the city of Livorno. The defensive system also includes the nearby Maroccone or Diavolo towers, today part of the Boccale Castle.
To fully appreciate its beauty, we recommend you climb down the cliffs next to Calafuria. These blocks of sandstone have been slowly eroded by the sea, making them smooth and easy to climb, the perfect way to reach the intense blue sea for a dip; these waters reflect on their surfaces beautiful views and hide an underwater world full of fascinating corners and biodiversity, a real paradise for enthusiasts of diving.
Under the Calafuria cliffs are numerous immersions sites accessible directly from land, and an association offers guided underwater tours.
Having arrived in Castiglioncello we can enjoy the classic sea-side life between refreshing dips, relaxing with a book under the sun umbrella or in the famous Marradi pinewood, aperitifs and excellent fish dinners in the restaurants that line its gracious town centre, from which you can see the rising of the 19th century Pasquini Castle; you can also have the chance to do the most famous of all water sports: surfing.
In the Quercetano Bay, near the centre and main free beach of Castiglioncello, form the perfect waves; the ideal place for surfers of an intermediary level but novices can find courses in the sea resort of the bay; also perfect for paddle boarding enthusiasts.
If water-based board-sports are more your thing, the renowned white beaches have the perfect conditions for kitesurfing and windsurfing. There are around four kilometres of sandy coasts, where the pure white sand creates a surprising contrast with the colour of the sea; you can find this area in Vada, just south of Castiglioncello. There is a range of sports that can be practiced here, suitable for all levels thanks to the various courses and instructors ready to start you off.
Whether the idea is an active or relaxing holiday, Castiglioncello and its coast represent the perfect destination to satisfy all desires for sea, entertainment and fun.
What to see and do in Castiglioncello and the surrounding area:
- Calafuria Tower: diving and sunset aperitif on the terraced bar next to the tower.
- Boccale Castle: the castle is especially perfect for photographing on rough sea days.
- Sonnino Castle: along the coast in Romito, admire the castle rising on the promontory overlooking the sea, which Baron Sidney Sonnino decided to make his home in the 19th
- Castiglioncello town centre: enjoying an ice cream in the Marradi pinewood, shopping in boutiques, delicious fish-based breaks in the many restaurants, a delightful walk along the Alberto Sordi seafront.
- Pasquini Castle: visit to the lovely surrounding park and participation in the many cultural and artistic events organised above all the summer.
- Quercetano Bay: surfing and a traditional day at the sea, also perfect for children.
- White beaches: kitesurf, windsurf, relaxing out-of-season walk with your four-legged friend (dedicated dog area on the beach even during the summer).